Since 1981, Political Research Associates (PRA) has produced investigative research and analysis on the U.S. Right to support social justice advocates and defend human rights. Well aware that organizers on the ground often encounter threats and intimidation from the Right Wing, we have compiled a variety of resources from our staff researchers and allies.
To submit additional resources to this list, email email@example.com.
What to do When…
- You are Smeared by Right-Wing Demagogues
- Organized Supremacists Announce a Rally—(Race, Class, Gender, Other):
- You are Harassed or Receive a Physical Threat
- You are being harassed online
- Intruders Invade your Meeting
- “Patriots” Come to Town
- ICE is at your door
For Students and Teachers
- NDLON Toolkit: ICE out of all schools, colleges, universities, and technical institutes
- What to do When: The Conservative Juggernaut Hits your Campus
- Organizing on Campus: Advice from the University Conversion Project
Safety, Security, and Privacy:
- Event Security and Safety
- Personal and Community Safety
- Encountering and Countering Political Repression
- Common Sense Security by Sheila O’Donnell
- 6 Tools to Protect Your Privacy
- EFF Surveillance Self Defense
- Privacy Tools: Comprehensive list of secure encryption tech
- Library Freedom Project: Online Privacy Basics
- Bystander Intervention and Deescalation Resources
- Do’s and Don’ts for Bystander Intervention
- Know Your Rights at Demonstrations and Protests
- Security Culture for Activists (Ruckus Society)
- Security Starter Pack (EFF)
Understanding the Right
- #First100Days Crash Course on the Right Wing
- Drifting Right and Going Wrong: An Overview of the U.S. Political Right
- Wrong About the Right by Jean Hardisty and Deepak Bhargava
- How the Right Took Power, and How to Take it Back!
- Key Characteristics of Right-Wing Populism
- What is Fascism?
- What is the Alt Right?
- Facing History: Why Study Weimar Germany?
ORGANIZING and Movement Building
- Organizing Advice: What Can I Do?
- Ground Rules and Tips for Challenging the Right
- Ten Points to Remember by the Center for Democratic Renewal
- Mijente: Guía Para Las Zonas De Defensa Comunitaria/Community Defense Zone Guide
- Indivisible: Former congressional staffers reveal best practices for making Congress listen.
- CCR Justice: Resources for the Resistance
- Southern Movement Blueprint (from South to South)
- Bend the Arc: Community Meeting Toolkit
- Opportunities for White People in the Fight for Racial Justice
- Organizing for Power, Organizing for Change
- What Can I Do? Leveraging resources:
- If you’re white: Join Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ), which organizes white people to fight for racial justice.
- If you’re wealthy: Join Solidaire, a network of progressive donors.
- If you’re young and wealthy: Join Resource Generation, a community of young people leveraging their resources to support grassroots social movements.
Additional Movement Building Resources from PRA Alum and Author, Chip Berlet:
- How Systems of Oppression are Created and Maintained
- Challenging the Political Right: Towards an Effective Response
- Social Movements Need an Infrastructure to Survive
- Organizing (Ideology, Framing, Narratives, Coalition Building)
- Basic building blocks of a successful social movement
Spirituality and Self Care
- Research for Progress: www.researchforprogress.us/
- Progressive Movements: www.progressivemovements.us/
- Rural Organizing Project: www.rop.org/member-groups/organizing-tools/
- Southerners on New Ground: http://southernersonnewground.org/postelection2016/
- South to South: http://southtosouth.org/
- Showing up for Racial Justice: www.showingupforracialjustice.org/resources
- Southern Poverty Law Center: https://www.splcenter.org/
- Right Wing Watch: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/
- Media Matters: https://mediamatters.org/
- Center for New Community: http://www.newcomm.org/
- National Day Laborer Organizing Network (NDLON): http://www.ndlon.org/
- Library Freedom Project: https://libraryfreedomproject.org/
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation: https://www.eff.org/