Week 9: LGBTQ RIGHTS
Opposition to LGBTQ equality has long been both a fundamental value and useful political tool for many American conservative organizations, especially those associated with the Christian Right. Even as visibility and mainstream acceptance of LGBTQ people grows, homophobia and transphobia continue to serve as key ingredients in the Christian Right’s ongoing “pro-family” campaign, which enforces a Biblically mandated heterosexuality, champions gender essentialism or “complementarity,” and prioritizes procreation.
- A Dystrumpian Vision for LGBTQ People by Frederick Clarkson and Scot Nakagawa
- The Christian Right on the Gender Frontier: The Growing Anti-Trans Offensive by Cole Parke
- The Christian Right’s Love Affair with Anti-Trans Feminists By Cole Parke
- Resisting the Rainbow: Right-Wing Responses to LGBT Gains edited by Pam Chamberlain
- See our LGBTQ Rights Portal Page!
Media (Click to download):
A guide for parents, students, educators, administrators and other stakeholders are working together to determine the best ways to support transgender students. This guide highlights best practices while offering strategies for building upon and aligning them with each school’s culture.
Check out the guide HERE.