Week 14: Exportation of U.S. Culture Wars
From politicians to preachers, the work of the U.S. Right has far-reaching consequences. These readings will examine the role of the U.S. Christian Right in the exportation of American culture wars. We begin with Rev. Dr. Kapya Kaoma’s groundbreaking 2009 report, which documents how U.S. conservative evangelicals are promoting an agenda in Africa that aims to criminalize LGBTQI people.
- Globalizing the Culture Wars: U.S. Conservatives, African Churches, and Homophobia by Kapya Kaoma
- Natural Deception: Conned By the World Congress of Families by Cole Parke
- East vs. West? Russia, Ukraine, and the Anti-Gay Wedge by Cole Parke
- International Backlash: The Religious Right at the UN by Peter Montgomery
- Franklin Graham: Falwell Prodigy, Putin Lover, and Trump Fan by Cole Parke
PRA’s Rev. Dr. Kapya Kaoma’s critical analysis of the U.S. Christian Right’s influence in Africa plays a central role in the award-winning documentary, “God Loves Uganda.”
American Culture Warriors in Africa: A Guide to the Exporters of Homophobia and Sexism is a popular-format guidebook designed to educate U.S. audiences and motivate all people of conscience to take action that interrupts the persecution of women and sexual minorities overseas.