Current Job Openings:
Political Research Associates, a social justice think tank that investigates and challenges the U.S. Right, seeks a full-time Director of Research to be based in our Somerville, Mass. office. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced journalist, researcher, or scholar who seeks to support and inform social justice organizing. We track the organized Right’s opposition to racial justice and immigrant rights; gender justice (including reproductive and lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender rights); economic justice and worker organizing; and civil liberties. Our goal is to produce materials that challenge the legitimacy of right-wing ideologies, figures, and campaigns and that help social justice advocates counter their organized opponents.
The Director of Research has lead responsibility for managing PRA’s research program and works closely with the Executive Director to develop, implement, and improve that program.
Primary areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Manage all aspects of PRA’s research program, including supervising program staff and freelance investigators, facilitating regular team meetings, guiding investigations, and editing and shaping publications;
- Develop and implement relationships with various social justice movement sectors/partners;
- Continually support the skill and intellectual/political development of the research team;
- Generate high-quality research for publication in various PRA outlets (e.g. quarterly magazine, special reports, blog, etc.);
- Contribute to fundraising, including proposal writing;
- Serve as media spokesperson and liaison with organizational partners as appropriate;
- Contribute to communications strategy, led by PRA’s communications director;
- Assume lead research and writing role for one or more core areas of our research program;
- Serve on the editorial board of The Public Eye magazine;
- Serve on the PRA management team.
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of PRA;
- Excellent research, writing, editing, and verbal communications skills;
- Supervision and staff management experience, including with freelance/contract writers and investigators;
- Knowledge of various sectors of the U.S. Political Right (immigrant, racial, or economic justice expertise a plus);
- Fluency in qualitative research methodologies and familiarity with quantitative research;
- Program development experience;
- Knowledge of and relationships with organizing, advocacy, research, and communications landscape in PRA’s fields of work;
- Experience working in a multicultural environment with an institutional commitment to diversity based on race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national/ethnic origin, religion, physical ability, age, etc.;
- Graduate degree in social science (Sociology, Politics, Women’s Studies, etc.) a plus; and
- Fluency in Spanish or other non-English languages relevant to PRA’s constituencies and research priorities also a plus.
This is a full-time, senior staff position based at PRA’s Somerville, Massachusetts office and working closely with the Executive Director and other members of our senior staff team. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience and on a social justice nonprofit scale. Generous compensation package includes medical, dental, and retirement.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, references, and two writing samples to email@example.com
Looking for an internship for summer 2014? Apply to work at PRA!
PRA currently has openings for the following positions. All internships require a minimum 20-hour/week work commitment, with flexibility around class schedules. To apply, send a resume, two writing samples, and a cover letter detailing why you want to work at Political Research Associates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research and Editorial/Blogging Intern
Whether through its hard-hitting reports and investigative long-form writing, or its analytical, web-exclusive articles and insightful daily blog posts, Political Research Associates is committed to holding those on the Right who seek to undermine social justice and human rights accountable. Our research and analysis helps inform the struggles of social justice advocates and works for a better, more just society.
Interested in joining our team? Research and editorial interns will help in investigating a variety of right-wing movements and institutions, and in producing The Public Eye magazine. Research and editorial responsibilities may include: extensive web, library, or phone research; proofreading and fact checking; meeting and coordinating with researchers and analysts; and other assistance with design and layout of the magazine. Additionally, interns may also contribute original posts to the Eyes Right Blog and help keep the blog updated with daily content.
PRAs research areas span gender, racial, immigrant, and economic justice; civil liberties; education; and other areas under attack by the Right. For Summer 2014, we are looking for general interns interested in the Right Wing and social justice, as well as those with a focus on LGBTQ rights, reproductive justice, immigrant Rights, and racial and economic justice. We are also looking for interns with journalism backgrounds interested in contributing to writing and editing as well as research specific to magazine articles, conducting and transcribing interviews, and suggesting new features.
Qualifications: experience in journalism or research; excellent written communications, editing and proofreading skills; proficient in MS Word, Excel, and graphic related applications; detail-oriented; able to work on short and long-term projects; ability to work independently and as part of a team; interest in progressive activism.
Graphic Design Intern
The Graphic Design Intern’s primary responsibility will be to work with the Program Coordinator and the Editor-in-Chief of The Public Eye magazine to create the cover for the magazine, which is published in both print and online versions. The intern may also help develop print and promotional materials for PRA events and other publications. Qualifications: Solid knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite 6, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign; a good design eye; creativity and originality; ability to work both collaboratively and independently. Hours flexible. May be able to complete remotely, though in-office availability preferred. To apply, please submit resume, three design samples, and a brief description of why you’re interested in the internship to email@example.com with “Graphic Design Intern” in the subject line.
Communications and Marketing Intern
The Communications and Marketing Intern reports directly to the Communications Director and plays an integral role in supporting PRA’s mission to advance social justice. Responsibilities may include: Contributing to marketing/digital strategy and best use of new website; Drafting press releases, email blasts, newsletters, and other materials; Supporting the development of media strategies and journalist outreach for promoting major releases/events; Contributing to social media, blog, and other editorial opportunities; Multimedia projects using layout, photo, audio, or video equipment; Supporting fundraising initiatives and helping integrate communications and development.
Qualifications: Excellent written communications, editing, and proofreading skills; proficiency with graphic design applications preferred; prior marketing and public relations experience; ability to multitask and handle short- and long-term projects; ability to work independently and part of a team; interest in progressive activism. Social media, journalism, blogging experience a plus.
(Looking for another way to volunteer? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how you’d like to support the work we do at PRA.)