Research and Editorial Director
Political Research Associates is an independent progressive think tank in the Boston area that analyzes the US Right for social justice change makers. PRA is a critical resource for information and insights about the Right that enables advocates to better strategize about how to counter their organized opponents.
We seek a seasoned editorial and research leader to manage our research program and publications, including PRA’s flagship quarterly, The Public Eye, special reports, and our Eyes Right blog. Assisted by a full-time Program Coordinator, the Research and Editorial Director (RED) manages the work of staff researchers, research fellows, and freelance contributors who produce long-form articles, 2 to 4 special reports a year, and regular blog posts. The RED reports to and works closely with the Executive Director, and serves as a member of PRA’s management team, alongside the communications and finance directors.
PRA may be best known for our work to counteract the Christian Right and theocratic movements, both domestically and abroad. Our core research program addresses a broad spectrum of the U.S. Right—from neonazis to neoliberals—and is organized around the themes of racial/immigrant, gender (including reproductive and LGBTQ), and economic justice, as well as civil liberties. PRA is known and respected for its research rigor, level-headed analysis, and deep commitment to social justice across multiple issues and constituencies.
The Research and Editorial Director should have experience in research, editing, and journalism; a comfort working with scholars, writers, and activists; analytical sophistication; and a solid understanding of the U.S. Right. Experience working in social justice nonprofits is advantageous.
Primary areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Manage PRA’s research program, including supervising program staff and freelance investigators, facilitating regular team meetings, and guiding investigations and publications through all stages of work;
- Supervise and support the skill and intellectual development of research team members, including fellows; and
- If desired, assume lead research and writing role for one or more core areas of our research program.
- Generate high-quality research products for publication in various PRA vehicles, including our peer-reviewed quarterly, The Public Eye, special reports, and www.politicalresearch.org;
- Assign/commission and edit feature articles (~2/mo.), blogs (2-3 week), and special reports (2-4/yr.) for online and print, working directly with authors (staff, fellows, and freelancers), as well as an editorial team including a Program Coordinator and Communications Director;
- Supervise fact-checking, copyediting, and layout and proofing of print magazine, and create a plan to refine its business/subscriber model; and
- Convene PRA’s editorial board, including: setting editorial direction, generating story and writer ideas, evaluating published works, and recruiting members.
Public and Constituency Relations
- Serve as one of PRA’s media spokespeople; and
- Liaise with organizational partners.
- Participate as needed in fundraising efforts, including generating copy for foundation proposals/reports.
PRA is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Political Research Associates is committed to hiring someone with the right mix of experience (both traditional and nontraditional), political commitment, and potential to grow with us. We strongly encourage people from communities most negatively affected by right-wing ideologies & campaigns to apply, particularly: people of color; immigrants; women and feminine-identified people; lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and Two-Spirit people; genderqueer, trans, and gender non-conforming people. Qualifications for this position include:
- Substantial applied experience in research, editing, journalism/publishing;
- Excellent research, writing, editing, and verbal communications skills;
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values of PRA;
- Significant administration and staff management/supervision/development experience, including with freelance/contract writers and investigators;
- Solid understanding of the U.S. Political Right;
- Fluency in qualitative research methodologies and investigative journalism techniques;
- Program development experience;
- Familiarity with the social justice organizing/advocacy landscapes in relation to PRA’s fields of work;
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment with a demonstrated institutional commitment to diversity and justice with respect to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national/ethnic origin, religion, physical ability, age, etc.;
- Graduate degree in social science (Sociology, Politics, Women’s Studies, etc.) a plus;
- Fluency in Spanish and other non-English languages relevant to PRA’s constituencies and research priorities also a plus;
- A sense of humor.
This is a full-time, senior staff position based at PRA’s Somerville, Massachusetts office and a dream job for the right person.
Salary on social justice nonprofit scale, commensurate with skills and experience. Generous compensation package includes full medical & dental, retirement, fabulous colleagues, and a collaborative working environment.
To apply please send a cover letter, CV, and two writing samples (Word doc or PDF) to Theresa Blackman at email@example.com. Position open until filled. Please submit applications by November 20th.
Fall 2015 intern positions are now open for applications!
Priority Deadline: August 1 (additional applications will be considered on a rolling basis).
PRA currently has openings for the following intern positions. Hours negotiable with flexibility around class schedules. We offer semester, full academic year, and summer internships on a 8-10 or 18-20 hour per week schedule. Interns working 90 hours total will receive a $500 stipend and those working 180 hours total will receive a $1000 stipend. Please indicate what time commitment and duration of internship you would like in your application.
To apply, send a resume, two writing samples, and a cover letter detailing why you want to work at Political Research Associates to internships@politicalresearch.
Research and Editorial/Blogging Intern
Whether through its hard-hitting reports and investigative long-form writing, or its analytical, web-exclusive articles and insightful daily blog posts, Political Research Associates is committed to holding those on the Right who seek to undermine social justice and human rights accountable. Our research and analysis helps inform the struggles of social justice advocates and works for a better, more just society.
Interested in joining our team? Research and editorial interns will help in investigating a variety of right-wing movements and institutions, and in producing The Public Eye magazine. Research and editorial responsibilities may include: extensive web, library, or phone research; proofreading and fact checking; meeting and coordinating with researchers and analysts; and other assistance with design and layout of the magazine. Additionally, interns may also contribute original posts to the Eyes Right Blog and help keep the blog updated with daily content.
PRAs research areas span gender, racial, immigrant, and economic justice; civil liberties; education; and other areas under attack by the Right. For Summer 2014, we are looking for general interns interested in the Right Wing and social justice, as well as those with a focus on LGBTQ rights, reproductive justice, immigrant Rights, and racial and economic justice. We are also looking for interns with journalism backgrounds interested in contributing to writing and editing as well as research specific to magazine articles, conducting and transcribing interviews, and suggesting new features.
Qualifications: experience in journalism or research; excellent written communications, editing and proofreading skills; proficient in MS Word, Excel, and graphic related applications; detail-oriented; able to work on short and long-term projects; ability to work independently and as part of a team; interest in progressive activism.
Communications and Marketing Intern
The Communications and Marketing Intern reports directly to the Communications Director and plays an integral role in supporting PRA’s mission to advance social justice. Responsibilities may include: Contributing to marketing/digital strategy and best use of new website; Drafting press releases, email blasts, newsletters, and other materials; Supporting the development of media strategies and journalist outreach for promoting major releases/events; Contributing to social media, blog, and other editorial opportunities; Multimedia projects using layout, photo, audio, or video equipment; Supporting fundraising initiatives and helping integrate communications and development.
Qualifications: Excellent written communications, editing, and proofreading skills; proficiency with graphic design applications preferred; prior marketing and public relations experience; ability to multitask and handle short- and long-term projects; ability to work independently and part of a team; interest in progressive activism. Social media, journalism, blogging experience a plus.
(Looking for another way to volunteer? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how you’d like to support the work we do at PRA.)